Technology, with the help of artificial intelligence, has been a pivotal factor in enhancing various aspects of businesses worldwide, leading to increased productivity and heightened customer satisfaction. However, the flip side of these advancements is the growing susceptibility of organizations to digital threats.
Nonetheless, this doesn't imply that businesses must sacrifice growth and progress in the name of security. Organizations that grasp the significance of identifying threats, implementing preventative security measures and controls, and adopting proactive strategies can better address the security challenges posed by today's digital world.
In this blog, we will explore the different categories of digital risks to be vigilant about and how you can leverage this knowledge to achieve a positive return on investment.
- Types of Digital Risks
- Why Risk Assessment is Critical in Managing Digital Risks
- The Value of Risk Assessment
Want a free network assessment? Click below to learn more.
Types of Digital Risks
Businesses of all types, from engineering to fabrication, manufacturing to automation, and even the likes of healthcare, ketamine, and IV therapy are witnessing a surge in digital risks, driven by the swift adoption of disruptive new technologies. These risks transcend industry boundaries and are even more prevalent than conventional cybersecurity concerns. In a broader context, digital risks can be categorized into three main types: physical, technical, and administrative risks.
These digital risks include:
- Cybersecurity Risk: With the increasing reliance on technology, cyberattacks continue to evolve, posing threats like ransomware and malware attacks that can disrupt business operations.
- Data Privacy Risk: In our knowledge-based economy, data is invaluable, leading hackers to target critical business data for personal gain, making data privacy a paramount concern.
- Compliance Risk: Businesses must adhere to various compliance and regulations concerning data privacy, cybersecurity, and organizational standards. Non-compliance can result in hefty fines and penalties.
- Third-Party Risk: Outsourcing services to third parties can compromise IT infrastructure security. For example, working with external vendors on software development may introduce vulnerabilities.
- Resiliency Risk: This pertains to a business's ability to recover and resume operations after unexpected disasters.
- Risks Due to Human Errors: In 2021, 85% of data breaches involved human elements, including falling for phishing scams, credential stuffing, and misuse of work devices, making human errors a costly concern.
- Automation Risks: While automation enhances the tech industry, it introduces risks such as compatibility and governance issues.
- Cloud Storage Risks: Cloud storage offers flexibility and affordability but comes with risks like limited data control, data leakage, privacy concerns, and shared servers.
Why Risk Assessment is Critical in Managing Digital Risks
Initiating effective management of your digital risks commences with conducting regular, comprehensive network assessments. After all, without a deep examination "under the hood," it's challenging to identify your existing vulnerabilities, gaps, and pinpoint your most pressing security issues.
Through a risk assessment, you gain the ability to gauge your security posture in the face of both internal and digital threats. This assessment equips you with valuable insights into your readiness to tackle these risks.
When you perform a security risk assessment you can proactively:
Identify vulnerabilities: A risk assessment serves the crucial purpose of pinpointing vulnerabilities within your digital environment that are susceptible to various security threats. It allows you to discern which systems are likely targets for attackers and subsequently implement measures to fortify these vulnerable areas. In the absence of the insights provided by your risk assessment report, improving your digital security stance against diverse vulnerabilities becomes an uphill battle.
Review and bolster security controls: Frequently, security incidents occur due to inadequate controls within the operational processes. For example, without comprehensive cybersecurity awareness training and best practices guidance, employees are unlikely to adhere to security protocols independently, potentially leading to losses stemming from human errors. Informed by the risk assessment, you can elevate your security measures and integrate proactive steps to counteract various risks.
Track and quantify risks: Effectively managing a range of risks necessitates a clear understanding of their impact on your business. Through the risk assessment, you can quantify these risks by assessing the potential losses associated with different threats. This information empowers you to introduce necessary risk-mitigation strategies to avert potential exposures.
The Value of Risk Assessment
Explaining IT and security budgets to management can be a challenging task. While everyone recognizes the dire consequences of neglecting proper security measures, determining the precise return on investment (ROI) for security investments is far from straightforward. The value of conducting risk assessments lies in the decisions made based on the insights provided by these reports.
In this context, the crucial question revolves around the cost of not making such investments. Let's take a major data breach as an example. The focus is always on what can be lost in the aftermath of a breach. If your business handles valuable customer data, a data breach can lead to significant, irrecoverable financial losses, damage to your reputation, and the risk of regulatory non-compliance, potentially resulting in severe penalties from regulatory bodies. In such cases, the task of resurrecting a business after a major disaster can be nearly insurmountable.
In this perspective, the expense of investing in security solutions and cyber insurance is minimal compared to the stakes, as it directly affects the survival of the business. Just like you can't precisely measure the ROI of airbags in your car, it doesn't diminish their critical role in ensuring your survival. Similarly, the information and insights acquired through routine risk analyses play a pivotal role in shaping your business's operations, resilience, and long-term success.
Assess Your Risks the Right Way
Consistently monitoring and controlling your digital security risks is an ongoing endeavor that should be integrated into your continuous operational strategy.
Get in touch with us at Cite Tech today to conduct a comprehensive risk assessment of your digital infrastructure. This will assist you in fortifying your security position against a variety of threats! Don't wait until it's too late!
About CITE Technology
Cite Technology Solutions strives to provide the very best in IT solutions.
We provide comprehensive IT solutions for small and mid-sized organizations with complex needs. Offering 24/7 Tech Support, Remote Support and Cloud Storage. We specialize in data management, medical imaging, HL7 interfacing, and HIPAA compliance.